Our friends at Ligand OmniAb have an exciting opening for a Research Scientist, Molecular Biology!
The Research Scientist will play a key role in the expansion of OmniAb’s in vivo Technology platform. The candidate will design novel strategies to express innovative antibody formats and capabilities in transgenic OmniChickens. The role will center on the design of transgenic constructs for the expression of human antibodies with these enhanced capabilities and innovative formats. You will participate in the design and testing phase for the novel transgenes, genetically modify chicken primordial germ cells (PGCs) to incorporate the transgenes and characterize the insertions in the cells. Coordinate the production of transgenic chickens using the modified PGCs. Participate in the characterization and evaluation of new OmniAb chickens once they have been established. Characterization of new chickens includes studying B cell development, antibody repertoires, immune responses and/or antibody discovery. Publication of novel research and presentation at conferences is expected.
Working in Ligand’s OmniAb Group:
The OmniAb group at Ligand consists of dynamic and innovative scientists that employ a variety of novel platforms to support our partners in discovering the best antibodies possible for their therapeutic applications. At the core of OmniAb is the ability to engineer animals to generate affinity matured human sequence antibodies for use in conventional and novel formats. We leverage our proprietary animals with state-of-the-art technology in antigen design, immunization methods and high-throughput single B cell screening to facilitate discovery of best-in-class antibodies. We are looking for accomplished team players who are enthusiastic to contribute to the technological frontier of antibody discovery, and passionate in their desire to collaborate with partners to develop next generation therapeutics. See OmniAb.com for more details about the exciting science being performed at OmniAb.
Ligand is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing or acquiring technologies that help pharmaceutical companies discover and develop medicines. Ligand employs research technologies such as antibody discovery technologies, ion channel discovery technology, Pseudomonas fluorescens protein expression technology, formulation science and liver targeted pro-drug technologies to assist companies in their work toward securing prescription drug and biologic approvals. We have contributed novel research and technologies for approved medicines that treat cancer, osteoporosis, fungal infections and postpartum depression, among others.
Essential Role Responsibilities:
- Design, construction and molecular characterization of OmniChicken transgenes
- PGC culture and production of OmniChickens
- Immunophenotyping of OmniChickens
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze results in support of the Company’s project development objectives, and provide/implement process or document improvements
- Maintain laboratory records in accordance with Company standards
- Maintain laboratory in a clean, functional state, as well as clean, perform or schedule equipment and instrument maintenance/calibration/certification, as the need arises
- Summarize data and provide result analysis, formulate experimental conclusions
- Assist in the preparation of articles for publication; present results of independent research; write reports/summaries for internal communications, and complete scientific papers for peer-reviewed journals, publishing abstracts, manuscripts, or industry requirements
Non-Essential Role Responsibilities Include:
- Presentations at major antibody conferences
- Other duties as required
- PhD with 2+ years of relevant experience
- Strong molecular biology background with hands-on bench experience on general molecular/cell biology techniques such as DNA constructs, genetic modifications, mutagenesis, etc
- Aptitude with embryo culture or primary cell culture, such as pluripotent stem cells or equivalent challenging primary cell culture is desired
- Experience in transgenic animals
- Experience in immunology and immunological techniques
- Experience on sequencing analysis and manipulation tools, including NGS
- Must demonstrate well-developed communication, record keeping, organizational skills, and the ability to work in a team environment
The company offers competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Short/Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, as well as 401(k) Match, Stock Options, Bonus, and Paid Leave Time.
- All new hires are required to go through background and reference checks
- OmniAb is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- OmniAb celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply; no agencies or phone calls please
- New hires based in the US will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption or accommodation to this vaccination requirement
OmniAb is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.