About this Position:
The Associate Scientist / Scientist will work in the Process Development group to design, develop, and optimize methods for upstream and downstream processing of bacteriophage at large scale. This role is also expected to work closely with Manufacturing group in the transfer of downstream methods to support regulatory approval processes.
Job description and technical requirements:
- Research, develop, optimize, and implement robust and scalable strategies for improving upstream and downstream manufacturing processes of phage, with an emphasis on downstream processes
- Monitor existing processes and products for quality and efficiency
- Scale up the production process, make changes to components or materials, and process parameters to ensure quality is maintained during large-scale production
- Execute and support process development activities and projects using technical experience, engineering principles, and equipment knowledge
- Conduct experiments and analyses as part of a variety of research and development activities such as small-scale studies, scale-up studies, technology transfer and process development following Design of Experiments
- Investigate and advise on alternative materials and equipment to improve efficiency and quality
- Oversees day-to-day operations of the Process Development purification labs. Maintains constant supply of materials, maintenance services etc. for the efficient function of labs
- Actively participate as a member of multi-functional project teams, executing projects from concept to practical application
- Evaluate and summarize the experimental results, develop, and test hypotheses to improve understanding of downstream purification strategies, yield, purity, and recovery
- Prepare internally reviewed technical reports, CMC documents, and oral presentations
Qualifications and Experience:
- MS or PhD degree in Engineering, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or closely related discipline with minimum of 3 years industry experience in protein purification development
- Working knowledge of scale up and scale down principles for fermentation, chromatography and filtration unit operations and column packing procedures
- Hands on experience and knowledge of different types of chromatography resins and capsule formats
- Hands on experience with purifying proteins using equipment such as chromatography purification systems (e.g., ÄKTA, AZURA, BioRad, Sartorius), TFF and NFF systems (e.g., ÄKTA crossflow, Sartorius TFF). Experience with filtration and chromatography.
- Working knowledge of protein chemistry, protein analytics and bioprocess technology
- Experience with downstream process development specific to phage or large molecular complexes is a plus
- Experience in process equipment selection and procurement
- Fundamental understanding and/or exposure to cGMP environment is desirable
- Experience and/or exposure to preparation of CMC sections of regulatory submissions is desirable
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively with all echelons of Management and staff
- Sound understanding of statistical experimental design and analysis, such as design of experiments, is a plus
- Ability to quickly integrate into a fast-paced team, learning new techniques and protocols as needed
- Excellent English communication and reading/writing skills
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently
- Self-motivated, organized, capable of working independently, as well as in a collaborative/group environment to collaborate with manufacturing staff on experimental studies and GMP manufacturing
This is a full-time position for work in a laboratory environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required of this position, except for required training and possible conference or event attendance.
About Armata Pharmaceuticals, Inc.:
Armata is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the development of precisely targeted bacteriophage therapeutics for the treatment of antibiotic-resistant and difficult-to-treat bacterial infections using its proprietary bacteriophage-based technology. Armata is developing and advancing a broad pipeline of natural and synthetic phage candidates, including clinical candidates for Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, and other pathogens. In addition, in collaboration with Merck, known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, Armata is developing proprietary synthetic phage candidates to target an undisclosed infectious disease agent. Armata is committed to advancing phage with drug development expertise that spans bench to clinic including in-house phage specific GMP manufacturing.