About this Position:
The Research Associate I position will support the research and development effort by performing molecular biology/synthetic biology experiments in vitro and characterizing natural and engineered organisms. The opportunity also exists to expand into other programs within the development pipeline.
Job description and technical requirements:
- Carry out microbiological (bacterial and phage growth curves, titrations, biofilm clearing), molecular (PCR, cloning, DNA purification and quantitation) and biochemical assays (reporter assays, E. coli protein expression and purification, MIC) in collaboration with scientists and senior associates
- Previous experience working with bacteria is mandatory
- Previous experience with cloning is mandatory
- Previous experience working with yeast and bacteriophages is a plus
- Previous experience generating and/or working with Next Generation Sequencing datasets is a plus
- Previous experience working with production and purification of recombinant proteins (SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, ELISA…) is a plus
- Develop and optimize new assays as needed
- Conduct semi-high throughput screening
- Process, analyze and organize large data sets
- Perform cross-functional tasks to support product development
- Assist in general upkeep of laboratory and maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Maintain laboratory notebook and accurate records of daily experiments
- Understand and comply with company standard operating procedures and safety procedures
- Read and understand scientific language, literature and publications as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Virology, Biological Sciences, or related scientific field with prior laboratory experience in a lab or research setting
- Demonstrated experience with cloning, primer design and PCR, agarose gels, plasmid DNA purification, and use of sequence alignment programs
- Experience working with and maintaining bacteria, yeast, and bacteriophages with excellent aseptic techniques
- Sound understanding of statistics and statistical software to interpret experimental results
- Excellent English communication and reading/writing skills
- Must be reliable, organized, detail oriented, and a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and work with minimal supervision
- Strong team-player and able to work well in small groups and independently
Physical Working Conditions:
This is a full– time position for work in a laboratory environment. The position requires wearing personal protective equipment. Occasionally, may require lifting or moving equipment up to 20 pounds and may require standing for extended durations throughout the day. Upon request, reasonable accommodations will be offered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. There is little to no travel required of this position, with the exception of required training and possible conference or event attendance.
About Armata Pharmaceuticals, Inc.:
Armata is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on the development of precisely targeted bacteriophage therapeutics for the treatment of antibiotic-resistant and difficult-to-treat bacterial infections using its proprietary bacteriophage-based technology. Armata is developing and advancing a broad pipeline of natural and synthetic phage candidates, including clinical candidates for Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, and other pathogens. In addition, in collaboration with Merck, known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, Armata is developing proprietary synthetic phage candidates to target an undisclosed infectious disease agent. Armata is committed to advancing phage with drug development expertise that spans bench to clinic including in-house phage specific GMP manufacturing.
Armata Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the importance of a diverse employee population and encourage applicants with various backgrounds and experiences. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race; color; religion; genetic information; national origin; gender; sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions; familial status; age; disability; military or veteran status; or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.