At Bionano Genomics®, we are committed to unlocking understanding of genome biology to advance the promise of genomics in areas including cancer and human disease, agricultural bioengineering and genome discovery. Our optical genome mapping and analysis tools help researchers see true genome structure to fill in what’s missing from sequencing-based data.
At Bionano, we are invested in the success of our customers and users around the world, and are dedicated to supporting them with the tools, resources and support they need to achieve their goals and make a real impact on improving quality of life for all.
- Bionano Genomics is looking for a mechanical engineer to work as a key technical member of the instrument development team contributing to the design and development of the next generations of optical genome mapping systems for genome finishing and structural variations analysis. This position is based in our San Diego headquarters.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, model and prototype of the mechanical platform of the instrument and its subsystems for handling of consumable cartridges, sample manipulation, and fluorescence detection.
- Leading the development (breadboarding, prototyping, optimization, and testing) of the mechanical platform, optomechanics and motion actuators with internal instrument team.
- Mechanical design support for optics and electronics development.
- Working with external consultants, vendors, machine and assembly service providers.
- Working with contract manufacturing partners and transferring prototypes to production.
- Concept through production ownership of the design documentation including the CAD model of the entire instrument.
- Develop subsystem and component specifications, assembly protocols, calibration and test procedures.
- Perform analyses of the system to evaluate the impact changes to specification, design, manufacturing procedure or usage protocol.
- Design assembly and test fixtures for manufacturing.
- Train contract manufacturing partners.
Skills & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Strong knowledge and experience in mechanical engineering or motion control.
- Requires previous experience with the development and launch of commercial instruments.
- Experience in modeling and evaluation of system trade-offs. Tolerance analysis, thermal analysis, vibration analysis.
- Strong interaction with external partners for development and manufacturing.
- Experience with SolidWorks is required.
- Fluidics experience desirable.
- Optomechanics experience desirable.
- This position requires a critical thinker with strong organizational skills as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An interdisciplinary approach to problem solving is required.
- Previous experience in managing external partners for development or manufacturing activities is a plus.
- Experience with using and programming motion control hardware and software is a plus.
Bionano Genomics does not accept resumes submitted by agencies. The Human Resources team is the focal point for all recruitment and hiring at the company. Agencies are asked not to contact or forward resumes to our Executive team, Management team, or any current Bionano employee for consideration. Resumes are only accepted from agencies if a signed agreement is in place and therefore Bionano Genomics is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Bionano Genomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. Bionano is committed to the principles of equal opportunity employment for all employees and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Bionano are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Bionano will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics and encourages applicants of all ages. Bionano participates in E-Verify.