The Buck Institute is looking for a talented and motivated Helpdesk Technician to join our Department of Information Technology. The position will work closely with other members of the department to provide prompt and accurate technical assistance on a wide variety of computer systems to the Buck Institute’s scientists and staff. The ideal candidate will have proven technical experience with a sound foundation in Windows, Macintosh, smart phones, a variety of computer hardware, along with a positive, can-do attitude.
This position reports to the Director of Information Technology and works closely with other IT staff to resolve helpdesk tickets and on a variety of departmental projects. This position is primarily on-site, with occasional days working remotely.
· Serve as the first point of contact for people seeking technical assistance in-person, over the phone, or via email.
· Calmly perform troubleshooting by asking pertinent questions and performing systematic diagnostics.
· Research possible solutions and present the most likely solution to the customer.
· Perform or walk the customer through the steps to resolve the problem.
· Clearly escalate unresolved issues to other IT personnel.
· Provide accurate information on IT products or services.
· Assist with on-boarding, off-boarding, and relocating employees within the campus.
· Run Audio/Visuals in the main auditorium and other conference rooms.
· Support users with Zoom meetings and other web meeting technologies.
· Record events, problems, and their resolution in the ticketing system.
· Write documentation for non-technical users and for technical IT staff.
· Promptly follow-up and update users on the status of tickets and requests for information.
· Pass on any feedback or suggestions by customers to the appropriate internal team.
· Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Proven experience as a help desk technician or other customer support role
· Tech savvy with working knowledge of MS Office suite, Outlook, PowerPoint, Keynote, web browsers, keychains, and standard operating system utilities
· Good understanding of computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products
· Ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues
· Ability to interview users about their issues, identify key information, research the problem and possible solutions, and apply the solutions to resolve the user’s issue
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Customer-oriented and cool-temperament
· Able to work in a mixed laboratory/office environment
· Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs 2-5 times a day
· Must be able to type and use computer mice throughout the majority of the day
· Must be able to travel throughout the campus to visit customers in need of assistance
Desired Skills and Experience
· Asterisk based VOIP phone systems
· Experience imaging computer systems
· Experience supporting users in Office 365