Buck Institute for Research on Aging
live better longer
The Buck Institute for Research on Aging is the nation’s first independent research facility focused solely on understanding the connection between aging and chronic disease. Our mission is to increase the healthy years of life.
Our Information Technology department is looking for a talented and motivated Helpdesk Manager who will be responsible for leading our technical support team to provide excellent customer service and resolve technical issues for the Buck Institute’s scientists and staff. The ideal candidate will have solid technical knowledge in both Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh technologies. This position combines hands-on technical work and management.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology, the Helpdesk Manager works closely with other senior IT staff. Helpdesk and AV Technicians will report to this position. This is an on-site role, with the possibility of occasional days working remotely.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary: $110,000 – $140,000, commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package including health insurance, paid parental leave, childcare assistance, generous holiday/vacation/sick leave, and 401(k) with 5% employer match
- Manage and support our team of Helpdesk and Audio/Visual Technicians.
- Mentor the helpdesk team, design and provide training, and conduct performance evaluations.
- Maintain timely and accurate customer service daily.
- Hire, train, and support helpdesk representatives and technicians.
- Contribute to improving customer support by actively responding to queries, managing ticket escalations, and handling complaints.
- Take and respond to helpdesk tickets.
- Establish best practices through the entire technical support process.
- Follow up with internal customers to identify areas of improvement.
- Develop daily, weekly, and monthly reports on helpdesk team’s productivity.
- Provide customer feedback to the appropriate internal teams and IT leadership.
- Work with other IT and Institute staff on projects.
Required Education, Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of successful work experience as an integral part of a helpdesk team.
- 3+ years of previous managerial experience, preferably with an IT helpdesk.
- Hands-on experience with using and managing a helpdesk ticketing system and remote assist software.
- Solid technical background with an ability to give instructions to a non-technical audience.
- A strong customer-service orientation with a problem-solving, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- Team management and mentoring skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Able to work in a mixed laboratory/office environment and travel throughout the campus to assist customers.
- Must be able to lift to 50 lbs 2-5 times a day.
- Must be able to type and use computer mice throughout most of the day.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with Audio and Visual systems, especially in a large-format auditorium
- Experience supporting users in Office 365