Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we’re helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are building and operating a unique software stack of cloud infrastructure, software services, APIs, web and mobile interactive interfaces, and AI-driven data analytics pipelines to deliver life-saving results in the highly complex infectious disease landscape. We believe the success of Karius’ products is driven by both our unique technology and the elegance of the software solution. We seek talented and passionate individuals who want to be part of this impactful journey reaching the team’s ambitious goals, far beyond what any single individual could accomplish.
As the Director of Software Engineering for Karius Diagnostic Lab, you will drive the technology roadmap, development and support of the software stack that enables Karius’ laboratory operation. You will be responsible for a critical part of patients’ diagnostic journey and the deeper investigation of novel datasets enabled by our proprietary access to the microbial cell-free DNA. This is a hands-on-code position that will build and lead a team of talented engineers.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Location: Redwood City, CA
- Working closely with cross-functional groups such as Product Management, Laboratory and Clinical Operations and Quality teams, develop and execute a roadmap to take Karius’ lab software to the next level of scale and agility for the upcoming growth. This will include Karius Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), integration with Bioinformatics analytical pipeline, and Karius Test ordering and report generation.
- Arm the R&D group with proper sample processing tools to conduct laboratory experiments.
- Support the Laboratory and Clinical Operations in their day-to-day operations of sample processing and reporting. – Instrument the software stack to collect usage and operational velocity metrics, identify bottlenecks and risks in the lab operation process, and collaborate with the Laboratory Operations and Quality teams to improve and scale the operation.
- Support the technology transfer and deployment of the Karius Laboratory in multiple geographies in future.
- Hire, lead and mentor talented software engineers.
- Bring new ideas, designs and tools to the table, drive technical discussions and decision making related to the frontend development and technology stack.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don’t suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
No travel required.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
First and foremost, you are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build an elegant software. You enjoy seeing your creation work like a clock positively impacting thousands of people every year. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that requires creativity and vision to navigate complex and ambiguous problems.
In addition, you will be able to present:
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bio Engineering or related technical fields involving algorithms or coding (e.g., physics or mathematics)
– 10+ years of software engineering experience, including:
– 5+ years of hands-on software development as an individual contributor;
– 3+ years of experience in leading engineering projects and teams;
– 2+ years of experience in healthcare, diagnostic, or pharmaceutical industry.
- Advance knowledge and hands-on experience with diagnostic laboratory processes, Laboratory Information Systems (LIMS), and Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELN).
- Hands-on experience with modern programing languages such as Scala, Java, Python, and API technologies such as REST and GraphQL, as well as deployment and operation of software in the cloud using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience leading agile development lifecycle in regulated environments, such as CAP/CLIA and FDA medical devices.
- Familiar with regulatory compliance requirements and certifications such as HIPAA, ISO 13485, 21 CFR p.11.
- History of working with Quality Management Systems (QMS), change management and traceability documentation.
- Experience in supporting audits by regulatory bodies and customers.
- Experience in supporting clinical studies with sample processing and data generation.
- Systematic problem-solving and debugging, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
• Passionate, purpose-driven, and excited about Karius’ mission.
• Mastered your craft yet eager to learn and grow.
• Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems.
• Ability to work independently but also be an excellent team player.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced (startup) environment
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.