Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,000 pathogens from a single blood sample with typical turnaround time in one business day. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we’re helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, with a future vision of accelerating clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
The Director of Technology Program Management is a key leadership role and will implement and lead the Technology Program Management function at Karius. Your primary responsibility will be to organize and lead a central, complex, multi-disciplinary core group in the roadmapping and execution of major technology projects which are critical to the company’s success. You will be accountable for managing resources, schedules, financials and adhering to stage gate quality and SDLC control guidelines throughout the full systems development life cycle. This also includes management of issues, risks and project change requests to ensure successful and on-time project delivery. You will also contribute to process improvement initiatives as it relates to improving project delivery.
Why Should You Join?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: CTO
Location: Redwood City, CA
• Coordinate a cross functional core team in the execution of deliverables; work closely with Executive Leadership, R&D, Engineering, LabOps, Marketing, Regulatory, Medical Affairs and other departments to ensure technology project priorities and decisions are consistent between teams and corporate strategic plans.
• Expand and maintain the technology portfolio management framework.
Understand interdependencies between technology, medical, operations and business needs to ensure all teams stay aligned on overall portfolio/program goals.
• Manage all aspects of multiple related projects to ensure the overall program is aligned to and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives.
• Work creatively and analytically in a fast-paced environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence.
• Communicate program updates to the core team, to functional management and to executive leadership.
• Oversight of all phases of the technology development life-cycle process from early R&D phases through commercialization. Understanding of Design Control principles and managing related gate-keeping, design freezes and reviews, change control, etc.
• Generate the necessary documentation and assist teams with creating project plans, protocols, reports etc.
• Organize technology portfolio monitoring meetings aimed at assessing quality of execution, progress, tracking and mitigating risks, resolving and escalating issues, and reviewing of action items. Take ownership of hands-on management and tracking of overall team progress and provide detailed management status reports and updates.
• Define program resource needs, negotiate program resourcing plans and track resource usage over the course of the program.
• Participate in establishing practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and mature these capabilities for the organization.
• Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
• Drive and action Lessons Learned to improve both program and project delivery.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. In order for Karius to deliver on the amazing promise of our advanced diagnostics, we need your help ensuring our cross-functional teams stay on task and on target. You will also get to see how your work really matters and saves lives.
Travel: Up to 10%
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline. An advanced degree in a technical field is highly desired.
• 8-10 years of direct Program Management Experience with clearly increasing levels of seniority and experience; 10+ years of overall experience.
• Knowledge of Program or Project Management tools such as: capacity planning, prioritization and strategic alignment, project scheduling, work breakdown structures, time and cost reporting is required.
• Experience leading core teams to successfully launch in vitro diagnostic products is highly desired.
• Experience leading large, complex, cross-department programs, ideally in a regulated environment (CLIA/HIPAA/CAP).Position requires the ability to collect information from multiple sources, sort through, integrate, and resolve often conflicting requirements, and drive an organization through the various issues to result in a successful product launch.
• Experience with both Agile and Waterfall program management, PMP certification preferred.
Proven leadership capabilities including strategy development, effective decision making, and the ability to drive results.
• Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and prioritize effectively.
• Ability to work independently and be a self-motivator.
• Detail oriented with excellent organizational and self-management skills.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks, proactively plan, adhere to timelines, and have a creative approach to problem solving.
• Has curiosity and is passionate about having an impact on patient’s lives.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.