Long DNA without the long wait
Associate Director, Product Management (DNA Synthesis)
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company at an early stage and to have an impact on the development of its products, markets, processes, people, and culture.
We are seeking an experienced product manager to join our team and to lead the development and commercialization of our ENFINIA™ DNA product and the buildout of a portfolio of follow-on DNA products. This position will require working within a cross-functional product development team alongside members from commercial, R&D, project management, manufacturing, and other roles. The position will be responsible for developing, communicating, and owning business cases for products and product features, including customer requirements, financial assumptions, pricing, product fit, and intended use in customer applications. Working alongside other experts in their own fields, the product manager will also champion a culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration.
A successful applicant will need to demonstrate extensive knowledge of the synthetic biology market with an emphasis on synthetic DNA applications and have experience thriving in a dynamic and rapidly evolving organization that requires individuals to work proactively and independently across a diverse range of tasks to exceed goals despite having limited resources.
- Manages the Elegen DNA product portfolio, including product and financial performance, as well as forecasting and lifecycle management.
- Defines and updates business plans for Elegen DNA products in alignment with the company’s roadmap and commercial objectives.
- Manages the applications landscape with analysis and understanding of customer needs and requirements, as well as current or emerging technologies, applications, and industry trends.
- Represents the commercial organization and the needs of customers as part of the product development process and core team.
- Serves as the commercial lead and driver of product launch activities.
- Collaborates with others across the commercial organization on product marketing for on-market products, including messaging, collateral, content, campaigns, and communications.
- Supports sales, applications, and regional marketing teams with training and collateral development.
- Develops and fosters a community of Elegen product users, in partnership with others in the organization, as well as with distributors, customers, and broader scientific or lay audiences.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or a related field.
- 3+ years in life sciences or related industry with experience in product management, product development or product marketing.
- Experience with market research and product lifecycle management.
- Experience leading and participating in cross-functional teams.
- Highly organized, with proven methods for tracking time, information, and deliverables.
- Excellent written, presentation, communication and collaboration skills with experience presenting to diverse scientific and other audiences.
- Travel up to 25%.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate degree (including PhD, masters and/or MBA) in a related life sciences field.
- 5+ years in life sciences as a product manager or product marketer in DNA synthesis or an adjacent market.
- Experience with financial analysis, modeling, strategic planning, go-to-market planning, and successful product launch execution.
- Experience with Jira SW for project management and coordination.
- Experience with HubSpot and NetSuite platforms.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $128,000 – $212,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity, and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws:
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)