Global Algae Innovations
Job Title: Scientist (Chemist)
Under general supervision with limited review, this position is responsible for determining and developing effective approaches for resolving a wide range of difficult scientific problems. Assignments are normally outlined in terms of overall objectives and anticipated results. Work is reviewed at milestones or at completion for adequacy in meeting objectives. Documents findings, communicates results to scientific staff and makes technical presentations as required. Provides direction to design or technical staff and may provide direction to less experienced professional staff.
- Works in a group environment (indoor and outdoor) to provide oversight, monitoring, and execute daily workflow activities at the Kauai Algae Farm. This consists of operating complex systems that include: Algal species isolation and development, algal inoculum growth, algal production, media, carbon dioxide, harvesting and dewatering, drying, and extraction
- Operation of the biological laboratory which includes imaging and fluorescence microscopy, microbial cultures and samples preparation, growth isolation and identification of microorganisms, microbial isolation techniques (such as culture media, plating etc.), and algae treatment and disposal
- Operation of the instrumentation in the analytical laboratory, which includes: Uv-Vis and fluorescence spectroscopy, flow cytometry, gravimetric analysis, and wet chemistry sample preparation and analysis
- Supports operation of scientific systems by evaluating and interpreting needs and problems and develops effective approaches to resolving those issues
- Troubleshoots, analyzes, and repairs systems in assigned area by utilizing standard scientific principles
- Provides documentation and makes technical presentations as required, and may assist in responding to proposals for new or the expansion of existing business opportunities
- Directs the activities of designers, technicians and may direct the activities of less experienced professional staff
- May represent the organization in providing solutions to technical issues associated with specific projects
- Interacts with co-workers, suppliers, customers, and partners in a professional, considerate, and respectful manner
- Fosters an environment of safety, camaraderie, and integrity in all aspects of work
- Observes all laws, regulations, other applicable obligations, and Company ethical standards while on duty, wherever and whenever business is conducted on behalf of the Company
- Performs work in a safe manner in accordance with established operating procedures and practices
- Notifies management of any activities that could violate or have the appearance of violating laws, regulations, obligations, ethical standards, potentially unsafe working conditions, procedures, or practices
Qualifications, Skills and Physical Demands
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree, Masters degree or PhD in Chemistry with two or more years experience.
- Must have a complete understanding of scientific concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems
- Must be able to work weekend shifts and extended hours and travel as required
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position and use a computer or equipment for most of the day
- Must be able to work indoors in the lab traversing the lab while transporting samples
- Must be able to work outdoors all day in outdoor weather conditions, traverse algae farm, ascend/descend ladders, and remain in a stationary position
- Positions self at ground level to perform tasks such as equipment maintenance and sample collection
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate with the knowledge of applications pertinent to position objectives
- Must be able to communicate via phone, video conference and email with co-workers and business contacts
- Must have ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment and learn new concepts quickly
- Must be able to think strategically and have the ability to use independent judgment
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
TO APPLY: please submit your resume to email@example.com, the subject line must include which position you are applying for.
Global Algae Innovations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.