Inscripta was founded in 2015 and recently launched the world’s first benchtop Digital Genome Engineering platform. The company is growing aggressively, investing in its leadership, team, and technology with a recent $150mm financing round led by Fidelity and T. Rowe Price. The company’s advanced CRISPR-based platform, consisting of an instrument, reagents, and software, offers a fully automated workflow that enables multiplexed, trackable editing of cells at an unprecedented scale. Inscripta’s mission is to enable scientists to realize the full potential of biology. Due to rapid growth and recent commercialization, Inscripta has an opening for a Staff Systems Engineer/Senior Staff Systems Engineer located in Pleasanton, CA or Boulder, CO.
The Staff Systems Engineer /Sr. Staff Systems Engineer who will use a multi-disciplinary approach to define architecture and sub-system requirements for a new, industry leading gene editing platform. These disciplines include biology, reagents, and instrument consumables as well as the associated software and hardware. This is an opportunity to drive the definition and implementation of system engineering best practices.
- Provide project level leadership and work with SMEs to define, design, develop, characterize, and validate platforms at the interface of electromechanical systems and biology.
- Analyze, design and test biological systems that include fluidics, optics, sensors, machined and molded hardware and consumable hardware components.
- Collaborate with a diverse cross-functional team (biologists, analytical scientists, engineers, etc.) to define and develop robust integrated instrumentation, consumables and software.
- Proactive development of in-depth knowledge of the product technology and a good working knowledge of the associated biological processes.
- Model fluid flows, biological flows, temperatures, reagent concentrations, etc. to construct a complete system model, especially to spec submodule interfaces and to identify critical parameters and determine best design approach.
- Model interfaces between instrument submodules across hardware, software, and consumables to identify critical parameters and determine best design approach.
- Design and perform tests to ensure specifications are met; collect data to help troubleshoot and evolve designs.
- B.S., M.S., or PhD in Systems, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline.
- 7+ years of system design experience. Taken at least one commercial instrument from concept to shipment.
- Experience with life science instrumentation.
- Strong interdepartmental communication skills.
- Taken commercial instrument(s) involving biology or biochemistry from concept to shipment.
- Experience in instrumentation and consumables development.
- Experience with engineering documentation and control practices.
- Proven history of systematic troubleshooting and innovative problem solving.
- Experience with aseptic biological reagent and cell handling methodologies and design of engineering systems to support them (e.g., aseptic fittings and sterile equipment design).
- Experience with systems modeling (Matlab, COMSOL, or similar).
- Experience with requirements analysis, FMEA, reliability and compliance testing.
- Understanding of statistical methods and Design of Experiments.
Inscripta offers a competitive base salary, bonus plan, benefits package, 401k match and an attractive equity program to all team members. Join us and work with a cutting edge organization creating cutting edge technology. At Inscripta, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our innovation, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace because the more inclusive we are as a company, the better our work will be. Inscripta is headquartered in Boulder, CO with offices in Pleasanton and San Diego, CA. This position can be at either our Boulder or Pleasanton location.