DNA Extraction Laboratory Trainer
San Francisco, CA
Schedule: Mon-Fri, traditional PST hours
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people! Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve! We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
We’re looking for a passionate individual that enjoys developing training and competency programs, instructing and guiding others with varying levels of experience, and driving quality and continuous improvement. As a part of our Technical Team and in partnership with the Extraction Operations Lead, you will ensure successful expansion and execution of our lab processes through the facilitation of training, competency and validation programs, coaching team members to be tomorrow’s technical leaders, and challenging yourself to delve into opportunities for professional development.
This role requires on-site work at our San Francisco location as well as opportunity to work overtime and off-schedule days as needed to accommodate training schedules.
What you’ll do:
- Write and revise SOPs for new products/assays and perform periodic review for all SOPs, as assigned
- Develop training materials and schedules
- Provide general laboratory orientation to all DNA Extraction testing personnel
- Train DNA Extraction team members on all technical processes applicable to their role and level of responsibility
- Ensure successful completion of all training and assigned competencies prior to team member sign-off for patient testing
- Successfully navigate different learning styles to train team members with a wide variety of experience levels
- Advise Technical and Production Leads on team member training progress, including any remediation needs or risk to launch timelines or capacity projections
- Establish cadence for effectiveness checks of training programs and adjust as needed
- Routinely assess thoroughness of training programs and update based on team performance, metric monitoring and data from SMEs, CAPAs, RCAs, etc.
- Recommend training program improvements to Technical Lead based on metric monitoring and data from SMEs
- Coordinate with Quality Team to ensure appropriate documentation of training and competency activities via the Quality Management System
- Participate in IQ/OQ/PQ activities for equipment to ensure ability to train staff on proper use and maintenance
- Demonstrate support and enthusiasm for continuous improvement efforts and data-driven changes to lab processes
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory studies or equivalent science related studies
- 1+ years of hands-on experience, preferably in a molecular biology lab
- Basic laboratory skills including open sample handling (blood, saliva, plasma, etc) in a BSL-2 or similar environment.
- Ability to analyze and problem tackle complex issues that may impact test performance
- Self-starter who thrives in ambiguity, where urgent versus important requests are easily balanced in our fast-paced environment
- Ability to work the full-time schedule, which may include weekend days or off-schedule requests when needed
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations
- Clinical laboratory experience and/or automated liquid-handler experience
- Scientific knowledge of assay chemistry
- Knowledge of d/pFMEA, CAPA, and RCA processes
- Experience with validations and bringing new processes from assay development to production
- Experience in an ISO 13485/15189, GMP, GLP and or CAP/CLIA environment
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.