Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,000 pathogens from a single blood sample with typical turnaround time in one business day. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we’re helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, with a future vision of accelerating clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are building and operating a unique software stack of cloud infrastructure, software services, APIs, web and mobile interactive interfaces, and AI-driven data analytics pipelines to deliver life-saving results via effective experiences for healthcare providers in the highly complex infectious disease landscape. We believe the success of Karius products is driven by both our unique technology and the elegance of the software solution. We seek talented and passionate individuals who want to be part of this impactful journey reaching the team’s ambitious goals, far beyond what any single individual could accomplish.
As a Sr. Manager, Engineering, you will drive the technology roadmap, development and maintenance of web and mobile applications (frontend) that are essential in delivering Karius services to its customers and research partners. You will be responsible for a critical part of workflows in patients’ diagnostic journey and the deeper investigation of novel datasets enabled by our proprietary access to the microbial cell-free DNA.
This is a fully hands-on-code position that will build and lead a team of talented engineers.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: VP Engineering
Location: Redwood City, CA
• Working closely with Product Management and Marketing, develop and execute a roadmap to take Karius’ frontend software to the next level of scale and agility for the upcoming growth.
• This will include Karius customer web portals, mobile apps and corporate website Develop novel and effective user interfaces to surface genomic and clinical data to internal and external users.
• Collaborate with other engineering team members to build an exceptional user experience with seamless integration with various backend services and APIs.
• Provide insight into customer behavior by understanding their interaction with Karius applications through code instrumentation and analytics.
• Hire, lead and mentor talented software engineers.
• Bring new ideas, designs and tools to the table, drive technical discussions and decision making related to the frontend development and technology stack.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don’t suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in an office environment.
First and foremost, you are energized and motivated by the opportunity to build an elegant software. You enjoy seeing your creation work like a clock positively impacting thousands of people every year. You crave tough challenges in a super technical and collaborative environment that require creativity and vision to navigate complex and ambiguous problems.
In addition, you will be able to present:
• BS or MS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related technical fields involving algorithms or coding (e.g., physics or mathematics).
• 8-10 years of software engineering experience including:
– 5+ years of hands on web and mobile application development
– 3+ years of experience in leading engineering projects and teams
• Advanced knowledge and hands on experience with mobile development frameworks such as React Native, Flutter and swift.
• Hands on experience with integrating various API technologies such as REST and GraphQL with applications.
• Hands on experience with production deployment and operational support of containerized software in the Cloud. This includes an automated CI/CD pipeline, monitoring and alerting tools, and feature flags infrastructure.
• Has led a development lifecycle with static analysis, automated unit and behavior driven testing, and proper quality gates for code promotions and deployments.
• Have developed, deployed and supported both iOS and Android mobile applications in production.
• Systematic problem-solving and debugging, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
• Ability and desire to work on and support all aspects of software development in an agile environment including documentation, design, development, and testing of features and sub-systems.
• Experience in healthcare or life sciences industry, and familiarity with related regulations is a big plus.
• Passionate, purpose-driven, and excited about Karius’ mission.
• Mastered your craft yet eager to learn and grow.
• Demonstrated ability to tackle complex problems.
• Ability to work independently but also be an excellent team player.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced (startup) environment.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.