Essentials for engaging at Ligand • Ligand is a dynamic, fast-paced organization committed to creating shareholder value and addressing unmet medical needs through developing and acquiring cutting-edge, royalty-bearing technologies and establishing research collaborations that make major life-saving global drugs possible. To be successful at Ligand, individuals must be innovative, efficient, versatile, self-starters who take great pride in their learning development and want to contribute to something significant.
Ligand’s intern program is a project-based internship program that is open to rising seniors or above enrolled in a credited university program. Our internship program spans 8 weeks and provides the opportunity for talented individuals who wish to pursue a career in the biotechnology field to gain experience at the forefront of the industry. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic and collaborative research program invested in developing technologies to support our business needs. To qualify for our internship program, all interns must have a 3.0 GPA or above. The selected intern will be assigned a mentor and will have exposure to industry specific projects and programs.
Strain Engineering Internship Summary
Ligand’s PELICAN Expression Technology group is looking for an intern to join our Strain Engineering team for the summer. In this role, the selected candidate will assist in an exciting cross-business collaboration. The candidate should be familiar with basic concepts of molecular biology and biochemistry. As part of the internship program, the successful applicant will gain experience in experimental design and characterization. The intern will present the research findings to smaller functional teams and the larger R&D organization. This is an ideal opportunity for any applicant who may be interested in gaining exposure to the biotech industry.
- Must be an undergraduate student entering senior year or above with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA. Recent alumni and graduate students preferred
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor or Master’s in Biology, Chemistry, or other life science related degree
- Completion of at least 1 upper division lab course
- Wet lab experience a plus
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- An enthusiasm and passion for science
- Self-motivated and scientifically curious
- Knowledge of report writing and experimental design
- Experience in data analysis using spreadsheets with a basic understanding of statistical concepts.
- Ability to commit to an 8-week intern program, 40 hrs. a week
- Ability to start between late May and mid-June of 2022 and be located in the San Diego, CA area
- Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
- Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship