ViaCyte is a leading regenerative medicine company harnessing the latest innovations in science, engineering and regenerative medicine to develop functional cures for chronic diseases. Our proprietary stem cell-based therapy approach has possible application across multiple disease states that can potentially be treated by replacing lost or malfunctioning cells or proteins. The dedicated team at ViaCyte is initially focused on treating Type 1 diabetes with a proprietary platform designed to differentiate stem cells into cells that function like a pancreas by automatically controlling blood glucose levels.
Backed by two decades of research and expertise, we are the first to advance this approach into human clinical trials and show therapeutic effect in patients with the most advanced cell replacement portfolio for Type 1 diabetes. Through partnerships with two world class leaders, CRISPR Therapeutics and W L. Gore & Associates, we are optimizing our cells and therapeutic delivery to create cell replacement therapies for diabetes that do not require immunosuppression and represent a functional cure. With collaboration and patient focus driving our work, our mission is to reduce the relentless burden of disease management, improve health outcomes, and enhance quality of life for people living with chronic diseases.
ViaCyte is headquartered in San Diego, California. For more information, please visit www.viacyte.com and connect with ViaCyte on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
You are a highly motivated and talented contributor and looking to join an exciting and fast-growing company to develop cell therapeutics and product platforms. The QC Associate will perform a broad range of activities to characterize and release stem cell derived cells for in vitro, and preclinical studies. Under moderate supervision, you shall perform the analytical characterization of differentiated cells using assays for cell proliferation, gene expression, and protein presence. Moreover, you shall utilize techniques in cell culture and cell & molecular biology to contribute to the overall research and development of gene-edited cell therapeutics. You demonstrate the ability to dissect challenging problems, interact effectively with team members, and manage multiple priorities in-parallel.
You are available full-time for a position located in San Diego, CA. The position will be 100% on-site and requires flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work when necessary.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform testing of routine and non-routine samples, and document.
- Analyze the progression of cell differentiation in vitro through real time gene expression using Nanostring platform, single cell RNA sequencing, flow cytometry, ELISA, cell counting/viability and other assays.
- Analyze data, report results, and advise co-workers regarding outcomes of testing.
- Perform basic statistical analysis of experimental data, where appropriate.
- Prepare protocols and written study reports.
- Actively participate in the development and/or optimization of analytical methods
- Survey relevant scientiﬁc literature to maintain awareness of issues and trends within the ﬁeld.
- Present experimental results effectively at internal group, department, or project team research meetings.
- Highly self-motivated and flexibility in working schedule to accommodate weekend work when necessary.
- Flexibility to handle rapidly changing objectives and timelines is essential..
- A bachelor’s degree in molecular biology or a related field, and a minimum of two years of laboratory experience is required. Equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job duties as listed above is acceptable.
- Demonstrated capabilities with cell-based and molecular techniques (RNA extraction, gene expression, flow cytometry, ELISA, cell counting, cell viability) is required.
- Experience with single cell RNA-sequencing is preferred.
- Experience with aseptic cell culture methods, including cryopreserving, thawing, and culturing cell lines is desired.
- Knowledge of stem cell biology and/or developmental biology is preferred.
- Must have demonstrated the ability and willingness to perform a wide variety of tasks – from those which are routine in nature to those which require independent thought and analysis.
- Detail-oriented, maintain accurate records, strong time management skills with the capacity to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to perform data analysis and communicate results through written and oral summaries.
ViaCyte is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Our programs are designed to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws, directives, and regulations, and cover all human resource actions including employment, compensation, benefits, training, education, promotions, and social/recreational programs.