A World Without Infectious Diseases
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Bio is seeking a bioinformatician who will work with the Data Science team in San Diego or in San Francisco (potential for remote work within the US) to analyze a diverse set of genomics and experimental data. A key focus for the bioinformatics scientist is to derive insights from large volumes of viral sequencing data from clinical studies and pathogen genome surveillance (public databases).
The Data Science team, formed by engineers, bioinformaticians, genome analysts and machine learning specialists, builds data infrastructure, pipelines and data analytics across the company.
Some flexibility in work schedule required to meet project deadlines and urgent requests. Appropriate comp time will be given.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Collaborate in a fast-paced environment with data scientists, software engineers, and scientists in wet labs to design experiments, develop analytical tools and derive insights from data.
- Integrate and mine large-scale data sets from research and clinical studies.
- Develop and maintain clean, reusable, composable, and scalable bioinformatics and data pipelines.
- Contribute to the data infrastructure at Vir: databases, APIs, scripts, and applications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Bioinformatics, Biology, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Computer Science, or related area with >6 years’ Bachelor’s, >4 years’
- Master’s, or >2 years’ PhD experience designing and developing product grade bioinformatics analysis solutions preferred.
- Experience with pathogen genomics is a must, ideally including viral variant calling (NGS data), multiple sequence alignment analyses, viral evolution/phylogenetic analysis, etc. strongly preferred.
- Experience with AWS technologies including S3.
- Experience working with publicly available biological databases including GISAID, NCBI, Ensembl, ArrayExpress/GEO and SRA.
- At least 2 years’ experience programming in Python and/or R for method development and data analysis preferred.
- Commitment to software development best practices, including version control (git or similar), unit testing, continuous integration, issue tracking, software life cycle and code sharing.
- Ability to work in multiple simultaneous projects and bring projects to a successful, timely completion.
- Experience working with clinical data is a plus
- Experience in multi-omics data analysis, integration is a plus.
- Experience working with reproducible environments such as Docker, conda, renv, etc is a plus.
- Experience with pipeline/workflow languages such as Nextflow is a plus.
- This role may be performed remotely if VIR can support remote work arrangements in the state where you currently reside. This includes most states within the US. If you move forward in the hiring process, VIR recruiters will discuss options with you.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.