A WORLD WITHOUT INFECTIOUS DISEASE
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking an experienced research associate to join the structural biology group. The successful candidate, under the guidance of experienced Scientists, will be responsible for delivering purified, recombinant protein for structural biology, biophysical studies and assay development to support Vir’s drug discovery efforts.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Work with Scientists to plan protein production workflows for the generation of antibodies and antigens from mammalian cells.
- Express and purify recombinant proteins and protein complexes to support structure determination and biophysical experiments.
- Optimize expression yield and protein quality by systematically exploring various constructs, expression parameters, and purification methods.
- Perform characterization of proteins and protein complexes.
- Maintain mammalian cells in suspension.
- Design and record experiments with strong attention to detail.
- Co-author protocols and technical reports.
- Maintain project timelines and actively participate in team meetings.
- Present results internally in team meetings.
- Manage CROs for gene synthesis and other tasks as required.
- Perform general lab management tasks including communicating with the lab operations group and maintenance of equipment
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS/MS in biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, or related field and a minimum of 4+ years of lab experience strongly preferred.
- Hands-on experience with recombinant protein production.
- Strong hands-on experience with protein purification techniques and equipment (affinity purification, ion exchange, SEC, ATKA) preferred.
- Experience with protein characterization using SDS-PAGE and Western blots.
- Prior experience with mammalian cell culture and transfection preferred.
- Familiarity with biophysical techniques (Octet/SPR, DSF, DLS) and protein crystallization is a plus.
- Interest in methods and technical development.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Highly organized, creative.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.