A World Without Infectious Diseases
Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio.
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly talented and motivated scientist to develop novel therapies for addressing unmet medical need in infectious diseases. This candidate will play a critical role in integrating the Company’s platform technologies to discover and develop best-in-class molecules to treat infectious diseases. The candidate will interact with other research departments for developing and leading new research strategies across multiple different viral and/or bacterial pathogens. Experience and understanding of diverse microbial pathogens, immunology, inflammation, and CRISPR screening technologies are preferred.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Develop complex cell culture systems mimicking physiologic conditions of human tissues, such as primary cell culture, air-liquid interface culture, or organoids.
- Design and perform studies to discover and validate candidate therapeutic targets for treatment of infectious diseases.
- Initiate and maintain cross-departmental collaborations to streamline various stages of drug discovery.
- Acquire and apply in-depth knowledge of the scientific background and scientific methods relevant to the field of study.
- Prepare accurate records of experimental data, and present written and verbal reports at multiple forums on a regular basis.
- Publish scientific work in peer-reviewed journals and present at external scientific meetings.
- May provide scientific leadership to Research Scientists and Research Associates.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD and 5+ years of postdoctoral, academic, or industry experience with focus on molecular & cell biology, virology, microbiology, or immunology is strongly preferred. Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience with complex cell culture systems and BSL-2 conditions is highly preferred.
- Experience with CRISPR gene modification, RNA sequencing, and flow cytometry is preferred.
- Up-to-date knowledge of host-pathogen interactions, innate immunity, and inflammation is preferred.
- Ability to multi-task, work on multiple parallel projects, and quickly adapt to new areas is required.
Vir’s compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person’s experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.