Some farms grow food. Ours grows fuel.
Viridos (formerly Synthetic Genomics, Inc) is a privately held biotechnology company harnessing the power of photosynthesis to create transformative solutions to mitigate climate change. Our unparalleled understanding of algal genetics and ability to translate innovation from lab to field underpins our initial deployment: a scalable platform to produce low-carbon intensity biofuels for aviation, commercial trucking, and maritime shipping. Building on a legacy of genomic firsts, our team of scientists and engineers are shaping new pathways toward a sustainable bioeconomy. We are currently looking to add a Research Associate II to support work both at our La Jolla and Calipatria facilities.
Under the direction of the Production Scientist, the RA will be responsible for ensuring day to day seed scaling operations in La Jolla and at the CAAF production facility in Calipatria, CA are providing seed for our intense operational schedule, while maintaining the quality of the deliverable seed culture. The Seed Scale Up team plays a key role in the overall mission at Viridos and is essential to the process of scaling algae from the lab to the field. Collaboration and partnership between the teams in La Jolla and at the CAAF is a must for this role to be successful.
This position will be focused on developing and promoting better seed scaling practices through the collaborative operation of multi-scale algae cultivation systems. The position will require a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with excellent listening, communication, and problem-solving skills, who works both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
A TYPICAL DAY IN SEED SCALE UP
· You’ll work with a team of professionals including the Greenhouse Staff Scientist and Production Scientist in La Jolla, and the Lab Manager and Production Supervisor in Calipatria to coordinate Seed Scaling efforts.
· You will spend 2-3 days per week at the CAAF site in Calipatria, CA during the production season to ensure consistent and sustained operations, the other days in La Jolla working on optimizing scale up operations.
· You will work with a diverse team of scientists in setting seed scaling cadence and operational standards for all algal seed that passes from the lab to the field.
· You’ll collaborate with the CAAF’s Production Manager to ensure seed operations are running on schedule and tailored to fit pilot operation demands.
· You will work directly with the Production Scientist to design, develop, and test novel seed scale up designs.
· You’ll assist the Process Development team in developing operational process flows and practices for scaled algal growth operations.
· Nothing else matters without a safe environment. You will work hand in hand with our Safety Team to foster a culture where safety is non-negotiable.
· Since Viridos values a teamworking spirit and getting the job done, your skills will be used in a variety of productive and collaborative ways to support our mission of changing the world!!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Biology, or Chemistry.
· 1-2 years in manufacturing/processing is desired. If that experience happens to be in the field of algae cultivation, that’s a win!
· Experience with sensors and monitoring systems is a plus!
· If you have had experience in developing and implementation of new process or improvements through development and scale-up phases, that would be preferred.
· Aptitude with Microsoft Office is a must. Any experience with design or drawing programs is a plus.
· You understand the value of communication.
· You have the technical aptitude to learn and understand the algal production processes.
· A basic understanding of the requirements for algae cultivation would lend a strong factor for consideration
· You strive for continuous improvement – Never Satisfied.